Tuesday, March 16, 2010

a letter to my mom

I think I finally get it. I am twelve years into it and I am finally starting to understand what you went through. Being a mom is difficult. Next to being a wife, I think it is the most difficult thing I will do in my life. I remember being at a grocery store with you when I was about five years old and calling your name to tell you something. You told me you had changed your name and wasn't going to tell me what it was. I remember getting my feelings hurt and also feeling embarrassed in front of the cashier but now? I get it. I have experienced the non stop 'Mom' to the point where I can't even hold a thought in my head and all I want is quiet. Then there are the days when Avery and I are driving around and all I want is for him to talk to me! I understand how you felt walking in the door, tired from the stresses of your job, and being rushed by whining, complaining, demands, and commands from me. Wanting only to find a hole to crawl in but instead starting on your second work shift of housekeeper, personal driver, pulse machine, sounding board, and chef. I know what it feels like to wear your heart on the outside of your chest. Feeling it swell with pride but also fall to the bottom of your stomach with sadness. I struggle with the balance, as you must have, to give them everything while wanting them to be appreciative. And no matter how hard I try during the day, I always replay at night how I could have been better. I know you did the same. And even today you talk about the regrets you have but mom! I now know it was a difficult job. And all I can do is hope that one day Avery and Brianna will get it too!

~Steph

2 comments:

  1. You have brought tears to my eyes...they are not tears of sadness...but tears of pride. I do have many regrets in my life. I was way too hard on you about cleaning your room and have long realized it's only dust and will return soon after it is cleaned. But I have never been disappointed in you - never. I have always been so very proud of my daughter and my only child. And as the years go by, I only get prouder. And I would give my life to save you and my grandchildren. Being a mom is extremely hard but it is well worth the journey. And I look back and 'beat' myself up because I wish I could go back and do things differently with you. But then I look at you being the woman you are today and think maybe I did some things right. You will never know the love I have for you and how deep it is. The love I have for you Stephanie is like I have for no other person on this earth. And I want to do so much more for you (just like my mom and dad did for me) and I'm trying. You are my life Stephanie and I will love you even after death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a good writer stephanie. I love the person that you have grown to be. I am proud to have you be my sister.

    ReplyDelete